Memorial Day weekend is the kick-off for summer fun to begin. The warm weather along with the expectation that the state COVID restrictions will be lifted soon has many people excited to travel, go on vacation, see friends and family, go to concerts, and many other fun activities. As you are planning your summer activities it is a good time to update your emergency preparedness plan. The California State Council on Developmental Disabilities has published a comprehensive guide called LET’S GET PREPARED! to help everyone with emergency preparedness planning. To read the guide visit: https://scdd.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2016/09/FINAL-DRAFT-5.1-Emergency-Prep-Handbook-Lets-Get-Prepared-2.17.2016-.pdf
Emergency preparedness includes:
1) Getting Safety Alerts so you know what to do and where to go
2) Making a Plan to protect you and your loved ones
3) Getting to Safety with all the supplies you need; or
4) Staying at Home Safely if you cannot evacuate
5) Helping Friends and Neighbors so they can make a safety plan too
The Guide also provides several emergency resource websites so you can find out how and where to sign-up for emergency alerts. We encourage everyone to take some time over the Memorial Day weekend to look at the guide and either update or create your safety plan. Have a safe and fun weekend!