Victim Services Resources Near You

Statewide Resources:


California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) -

CalVCB can help pay bills and expenses that result from violent crime. Victims of crime who have been injured or have been threatened with injury may be eligible for help.


Victims of Crime Resource Center -

Provides crime victims in California with the necessary tools to navigate the criminal justice system through education, legal advocacy, and resource referrals.

1-800-VICTIMS (1-800-842-8467)
TTY: 1-916-739-7083

What are victim services?

Victim services programs can provide financial assistance and support services to people who have been victims of a qualifying crime and who have suffered physical, mental, or financial harm. Some of the services available to victims include:

  • Resource counseling and referral to appropriate agencies
  • Help understanding the criminal justice system process
  • Attending court hearings with victims
  • Assistance with preparing or delivery of a victim impact statement
  • Assistance with filling out applications for the Victims of Crime Program through the Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board
  • Advocacy in felony domestic violence cases

Victim services programs and victim-witness assistance programs are typically offered at no cost through the district attorney’s office in each county, and the State Victims Compensation Program.

VS Image 1

When you have been the victim of a crime, why should you get victim services?

Being a victim of crime can be TRAUMATIC! Victim services advocates work with individuals to reduce the effects of trauma. They help by guiding individuals through the legal system and directing them to organizations that provide important services like:

  • counseling
  • help getting property back
  • support when going into court
  • filing compensation claims
  • and many other important services
  • Victim services are FREE of charge

Your well being matters and victim services are there to help you.

VS banner 2

How do I know if I can get victim services?

If you are a victim of a crime that involves physical injury, threat of physical injury, or the crime results in the death of a closely related family member then you may be eligible for free victim services. If you are not sure you qualify for victim services here are two ways you can find out.

  • First, every county has a district attorney’s office. You can call the office in your county and ask to speak with someone about victim services. To find your county’s district attorney’s office visit The California District Attorney Association website:
  • Or, you can contact the California Victim Compensation Board either by calling 1-800-777-9229 or emailing If you are hard of hearing or deaf call the California Relay Service at 1-800-735-2929.

What if I have a disability and need additional support to access victim services?

Many, but not all, of the victim services programs have advocates who have additional training or experience working with people with disabilities. When you call let the advocate know you may need extra support. Often the advocate will encourage you to have someone you trust with you if you do need additional support.