unique strength of Shift Happens is that it has developed progressive
human relation practices to complement and assure the effectiveness of
its philosophy and approach. The People Power Leadership Model builds
organizational core values and innovative techniques into recruitment,
orientation, training, supervisory, time management, performance
improvement and career advancement practices.
9:00-9:15 Review of Day One and results of homework assignment
9:15-9:30 Introduction to the People Power Leadership Model
Key Points:1) What it takes to be a great leader.
2) Three elements of culture.
3) What it takes to be a values based organization.
9:30-10:15 People Power Part I -
Innovations in Recruitment. If we want
people who share our core values, we have to hire people who already
possess them. This session emphasizes the critical importance of proper
interviewing and offers a variety of techniques and tips.
1) Developing outcome based job descriptions.
2) Developing job profiles.
10:30-11:30 People Power Part I -
Innovations in Recruitment (continued)
3) The rule of Four 3's.
4) Hiring SEANs.
5) Involve everyone.
11:30-12:00 People Power Part II -
Orientation where almost everyone blows it.
Improving their employee orientation practices is one of those things
many organizations know they should attend to, yet do not. This session
will explore the importance of a new type of orientation; one that is
competency based, effective, challenging and fun.
1) The 21 day rule.
2) Working with my supervisor.
3) Five questions to improve supervisory relationships.
4) Vantage Point, a dynamic approach to employee orientation.
5) Stages of employee development....the handiest staff development tool you will ever want.
12:45-1:15 People Power Part III -
Shifting from "in service training" to "in the course of service" training.
As the nature of services changes from institutional care to community
life, historical approaches to training must be reexamined and
redesigned to meet current workforce needs.
1) Problems with in service training.
2) The challenge ever increasing regulations bring.
3) Avoiding checklist mentality.
4) Compliance has very little to do with quality.
5) Supervisor as trainer.
1:15-2:00 People Power Part IV -
Shifting the supervisory paradigm. This
session will show how to change the supervisory paradigm from that of
supervisor as boss or foreman to supervisor as coach and supporter.
1) Supervision is the key.
2) Three questions to assess supervision.
3) WSMs (weekly supervisory meeting) to the rescue.
4) Supervisor as coach and supporter.
5) Key elements of effective coaching.
6) Performance evaluations....the number one complaint.
7) A user friendly, positive alternative.
8) Career development. Is it training or discipline? A user friendly diagnostic tool.
2:00-2:15 People Power Part V -
Time can be on your side.
so, than ever before, employees are overwhelmed by the workloads for
which they are responsible. While we cannot give them all an assistant,
we can give them assistance by providing them with basic time
management training. This session will show how to improve
productivity, communication and job satisfaction through appropriately
designed time management training.
1) Practical time management practices and their impact on productivity and job satisfaction.
2) Personal time management.
3) Career importance.
4) Organizational impact.
2:15-2:30 People Power Part VI -
The energy of caring. We teach on our
feet, not in a seat. This session will show how to develop focused,
energetic staff and how energy affects quality and job satisfaction.
1) The importance of proper role modeling.
2) Setting expectations.
3) Observation and feedback.
4) Assessing during the interview process.
5) Caring and wellness.
2:45-3:00 People Power Part VII -
Personal review and goal setting
Team Planning. Teams will use the two minute assessment tool to identify common treads, set goals and establish priorities.
3:45-4:00 Concluding thoughts and final question and answer period.